Gender lines are blurring and ideas about what is feminine and what is masculine have influenced not only style trends but also the acceptance of men pursuing cosmetic enhancement. Men don’t want to be left in the dust while women pursue the fountain of youth. They want to look and feel their best just as their female counterparts. In years past it was looked down upon to have cosmetic treatments, but now it is becoming widely accepted by both men and women to have “work” done in our looks-obsessed culture.
Southern California is certainly known as a region where appearance is a focal point. Located in Newport Beach, CA, the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery and BioSpa pride themselves on being the premier practices for both surgical and non-surgical cosmetic treatments for men and women alike. As such, they have a pulse on what the aesthetic trends are for men residing in SoCal.
Top 6 Non-Invasive Cosmetic Treatments for Men
- Botox® – A highly concentrated protein that is injected into areas of the face to impair muscle movement that forms wrinkles in areas such as the forehead, between the eyebrows, and outer edges of the eyes. A Botox treatment is quick and painless, taking only 10-15 minutes out of your day. In 7-10 days the effectiveness will be seen and the results will last 3-4 months. Continued re-treatment is necessary to maintain results.
- Dermal Fillers – This broad category includes substances primarily comprised of hyaluronic acid (HA).This substance is found naturally in the body, yet depletes with aging. HA’s can be injected into hollows of the under eye to bring the sunken area into the light reducing dark circles and shadows and eliminating the appearance of bags. treatment. Filler is also used to fill in deep facial wrinkles and folds. The most common area of treatment is known as the nasolabial folds, which are the lines that from the corner of the nose down towards the corner of the mouth. Another popular use is for volume replacement. As we age we lose facial volume which creates a flat drawn-out appearance. By adding filler into the cheeks, temples, pre-jowl areas a more youthful look is restored.
- MiraDry Sweat Elimination – Using innovative microwave technology, sweat glands in the underarms are destroyed leaving a person permanently sweat free and odor free. Most individuals require only 1 one-hour treatment to achieve their desired result.
- HydraFacial – It may seem feminine for a man to get a facial, but they can benefit as much if not more than women. It is a non-laser treatment designed to resurface the skin while gently cleansing pores and hydrating the face. The HydraFacial helps with skin damage caused by shaving, coarse facial skin, large pores, clogged pores leading to blackheads and pimples, sun damage, oily skin caused by high testosterone, dry skin, and other skin issues. Great for all ages and skin types.
- PRP Hair Loss Therapy – A treatment involving a small sample of the patient’s own blood, which is then spun to extract the plasma. The resulting plasma consists of high quantities of platelets and growth factors. These components are injected into areas of hair loss. Results have been highly effective. The science behind PRP hair treatment is that these growth factors stimulate impaired hair follicles that are not functioning properly. Since the growth factors are from the patient’s own blood, the targeted hair loss area is infused with cells that increase natural tissue healing and regeneration. This leads to new cellular growth that stimulates hair follicles. The follicles become larger and healthier than they were prior to treatment. The hair follicles are then able to produce thicker hair.
- Laser Hair Removal – Hair removal has been around for a long time and is likely the first entry into cosmetic treatments for men. Using laser light energy to penetrate the hair shaft effectively kills the hair root. This doesn’t kill the hair follicle all together, so another hair can grow in its place, but it’s difficult. Ideal for removing or thinning hair on the back, chest, stomach, shoulders, or genitals. Works best on light skin with dark hair, however, there are lasers which are capable of targeting lighter hair or dark skin with dark hair.
Top 6 Surgical Cosmetic Procedures for Men
At their heart, men really aren’t much different than women in terms of taking pride in their appearance. After all, they were first to adapt to hearty work-outs and buying gym memberships while women looked to dieting. In general, men desire a masculine chest, V-cut six-pack abdomen. They also prefer a strong chin that is in proportion to their nose and other facial features. Even the fittest of men will eventually see the effects of aging. Fat begins to build up on the body, facial features begin to change, especially around the eyes, lower face, and neck. At the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery, these are the most popular surgical procedures requested by their male patients.
- Vaser Liposuction– Traditional liposuction was introduced in 1974 as a surgical alternative for getting rid of unwanted fat.For decades, men preferred to sweat off their extra pounds and felt that liposuction was for cheaters. With education and a shift in society’s acceptance of cosmetic procedures, men have begun to embrace the benefits of turning to surgery to achieve their body goals. Vaser Liposuction is especially appealing to men because it’s powerful enough to eliminate substantial amounts of fat while having the ability to refine and accentuate the appearance of muscles. VaserLipo uses a precise, minimally-invasive technology that provides exceptional results with minimal downtime, which is something important to most men. Liposuction can be performed on almost any area of the body.
- Rhinoplasty – Men can get away with having a large strong nose, but there are instances when facial proportion is disrupted and rhinoplasty can make a dramatic improvement in appearance. The most common complaints are a crooked nose, large hump, and flared nostrils. Men have thicker skin making it a bit more difficult for the results to show through, so it’s important to turn to a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a vast amount of experience with rhinoplasty surgery.
- Chin Augmentation – Strong male facial features convey a sense of strength and power. A weak chin can come across as a man being weak or less than. Chin augmentation is a relatively straightforward procedure which can greatly improve a man’s facial appearance. It not only provides better symmetry and projection, but it can also help the angle of the neck. It is often combined with rhinoplasty.
- Male Breast Reduction – A procedure to remove excess breast tissue and fat to improve the appearance of enlarged male breasts. Also referred to as gynecomastia. The appearance of “man boobs” can be demoralizing and can negatively affect almost all areas of a man’s life. The procedure is often times able to be performed under local anesthesia in an office setting with the results being permanent and life-changing.
- Eyelid Rejuvenation – They eyes are usually the first thing people look at and the first to show signs of aging. Rejuvenating the upper or lower eyes with blepharoplasty surgery can make the entire face look younger. During the aging process, men typically experience hooded upper lids and bulging under-eye bags. Men are very concerned with maintaining a natural “un-operated” appearance, so a conservative approach to eyelid rejuvenation is usually the strategy used by experienced plastic surgeons. When performed as a stand-alone procedure, blepharoplasty may be offered as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia.
- Neck Lift – Men have thicker skin than women which benefits them during the aging process, however one area that tends to show aging is the neck. A build-up of fat, along with weakened muscles and sagging skin, is a recipe for the dreaded “turkey” neck. Fortunately, a neck lift will improve all of these issues and restore the neck back to are a more youthful state. When performed by a skilled plastic surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation, incisions are generally well hidden in the hairline and under the chin so they won’t be detectable to others. Many men say co-workers and friends notice they look better, but ask if they lost weight rather than assuming they had a surgical procedure.
If you are interested in learning more about one of the treatments mentioned, contact Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery and BioSpa at 949.720.3888.