NEWPORT BEACH NECK LIFT PROCEDURES
The neck lift is a general term used for rejuvenating the neckline to create a more youthful attractive appearance. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in neck lift procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible. An experienced plastic surgeon will explain all of the neck lift options available and will help guide you through the decision making process.
At Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery the best neck lift recommendation for you will depend on your needs, desires, overall health, and most importantly a physical examination of your face and neck.
Five main features will be evaluated to determine the best options for improving your neckline.
- Visibility and amount of excess fat below the chin and along the neckline.
If present, liposuction will be recommended to remove the fat. Younger individuals with good skin quality are usually candidates for liposuction alone. Their skin has the ability to contract after surgery. Older individuals with skin laxity issues may require a skin tightening procedure in conjunction with liposuction, because their skin won’t have the ability to tighten on its own.
- Presence of banding down the front of the neck.
In some cases the banding is quite evident and in other cases the banding may be hidden beneath large amounts of excess fat and skin. In either situation a platysmaplasty will be necessary to correct the problem and provide the best long term results. Patients with minor banding can be treated non-surgically with Botox® or Dysport®, but requires a minimum of 3-4 treatments per year.
- Amount of excess skin and condition of your skin.
These two factors help determine the best overall treatment plan for rejuvenating the neck.
- Mild Aging (i.e. early signs of aging): Small amounts of fat deposits and minimal skin laxity. Liposuction alone may provide the contouring and tightening needed.
- Mild to Moderate Aging: Minimal to mild skin laxity. Patients needing more skin tightening than liposuction can provide may benefit from non-surgical options such as the Sciton SkinTyte laser procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage. Dr. Nichter and Dr. Horowitz recommend the Sciton SkinTyte laser treatment , because there is virtually no downtime, minimal discomfort, and provides effective targeted results.
- Moderate Aging: Redundant skin present in the upper and mid area of the neck. The LiteLift™ procedure is the most effective way of addressing skin excess and laxity. Requires minimal scars, which are hidden behind the ear. The skin is lifted and re-draped vertically resulting in a natural rejuvenated appearance.
- Moderate to Severe Aging: Severe skin laxity and/or heavy neck (i.e. turkey waddle, turkey neck, gobble deformity). A full neck lift or traditional lower facelift (comprehensive LiteLift™) will be needed with the possibility of liposuction and a platysmaplsty. The lower facelift tends to offer an advantage over the neck lift, because it also rejuvenates the lower jawline, which is typically showing signs of aging as well.
- Chin Deficiency.
During the examination the chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak chin means there is not adequate chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. For individuals with signs of aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.
- Presence of Prominent Digastric Muscles(a.k.a. submandibular gland fullness).
Although not commonly seen in most patients, if present, then partial resection is usually the best solution for contour improvement.
In summary, selecting the most experienced and qualified neck lift surgeon is essential to ensuring you will have not only a positive experience, but a long lasting natural result. The best neck lift surgeon will evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to determine which neck lift procedure best suits your individual needs. In some cases your plastic surgeon may give you more than one option to choose from.
Understanding the pros and cons of each option is key to making your decision.
Contact us for a consultation with a Newport Beach plastic surgeon at our office.