Kale: Healthy Recipes
Kale has become a popular health food lately, and for good reason. Its stunning nutritional profile that includes antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients; cancer-preventative nutrients calledglucosinates; micronutrients in which the average U.S. adult is deficient; and lots of Vitamin K.
As with everything else that improves your overall health, we recommend kale as part of a healthy diet to our patients. General health is a big factor in speeding recovery from surgery.
Here are some kale recipes we suggest:
Recipe for Crispy Grilled Kale with Creamy Sesame Dressing
Separate the leaves. Mix one bunch of Kale with about 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill on medium. Cook oil-rubbed greens directly on the medium-hot grill, turning once, until slightly softened and streaked brown, 5 to 6 minutes total.
Mix the following ingredients in a bowl for the dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
Serve the kale with the dressing.
Simple Kale Chips Delicious and Healthy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the kale leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite-size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.